Urgent Appeal 3/28/2020 Sabbath – Church at Home
Prayer Model: ACTS
Adoration: To praise and adore God for some aspect of His Character
- It sets the tone for the entire prayer
- It reminds us of who we are talking to and whose presence we are in.
- It reminds us of His identity and His inclinations.
- It purifies the one who is praying — your spirit is softened and your agenda changes
- God is worthy of adoration — so right from the beginning we offer praise
a. use a speller divider or computer for daily praise words
b. meditate on the specific characteristic
c. journal it
d. use scripture with that word in it
Confession: Coming to God with particular sins and asking for forgiveness
- It is one of the most neglected areas of personal prayer.
- Of all of the feelings a person experiences, guilt is one of the worst.
- In most cases people who consider themselves spiritual over rate their goodness in the eyes of God.
- It is easy to use the words, “Lord forgive me all my sins” — it becomes the easy way out.
Thanksgiving: Thanking God for individual events and things that are happening to us
- Being able to thank Him even in the midst of bad things — Jonah 2:9
- Are you an optimist or a pessimist? — “In this life, pain is inevitable, but misery is optional.”
Supplication: Another word for intercession and requests
- Break away from using the cliché word, Bless.
- Use a system — Take a fresh thought from your reading of the scripture and apply it to the person you are praying for.
- Organize the weekdays into special lists so you are not overwhelmed with long lists.